Uhm, I am sorry to say this but the BabyBjorn Bouncer is actually not intended for babies to sleep in it
[amazon asin=B0081JYVHU&text=BabyBjörn Bouncer Balance Soft]
While BabyBjörn is best known in the U.S. for its baby carriers, the product that started the brand was a bouncer. First on the market in 1961, the bouncer continues to be a favorite product and is their top-selling item in Japan. I fell in love with the BabyBjörn Babysitter Balance with my first child and am even more in love with the newest version, the Balance Soft.
My 3-month old enjoys lying in the bouncer and is quickly calmed and lulled to sleep by the gentle rocking. A light touch is all it takes to put the seat in motion. The concept is so simple that even my 2-1/2 year old can help put baby brother to sleep. She especially loves that the bouncer sits low to the ground, making it easy for her to interact with him. Putting the bouncer on the floor also enables it to be easily rocked with your foot, which is great for keeping your hands free for other purposes.
The only downside to this bouncer is if you have a baby who needs constant motion to sleep. If that’s the case, be prepared to get your workout, rocking baby for the duration of his nap. However, most babies should be fine as short awakenings with even the slightest movement will cause the seat to gently rock, allowing baby to self-soothe and put himself back to sleep.
The Balance Soft has all the features of the earlier Babysitter Balance, with a simple and elegant design that lets you manually rock baby to sleep – no batteries or trip-inducing wires needed! Stretched fabric over a minimalist yet sturdy metal frame provides a comfortable, contoured surface for newborns as well as young sitters. The frame can be adjusted to four inclined positions, from an upright seated position to a more reclined position for rest, an even lower position for newborns who aren’t yet able to support their own heads and a flat position, which makes for easy storage and transport. A weight of under 5 pounds also makes this bouncer easy to move around the house or take with you on trips out.
What makes the Balance Soft even better than the previous Babysitter Balance? The 100% cotton fabric and lightly padded safety harness provide a softer seat for baby. Also, the harness attachment has been vastly improved – this was my one big issue with the previous model, which had a harness that was a bit clumsy to secure. Now, I can easily slip my baby into the bouncer and secure the harness quickly and without frustration. It’s even adjustable. Fabulous! That alone is reason enough to upgrade to the Balance Soft.
As a quick recap, here are my list of PROS and CONS for the BabyBjörn Bouncer Balance Soft.
- Elegant design doesn’t require batteries
- Easy enough for young siblings to help calm baby
- 3 sitting positions to accommodate your growing baby (approximately newborn to 2 years) and the provide the ideal inclines for sleep, rest and play
- Folds up flat for easy storage and transport
- Lightweight to be easily portable both within and outside the home
- New and improved harness fastening system makes it easy to ensure that baby is safely secured
- Softer and more padded design provides an even more comfortable seat than previous models
- Removable and machine washable fabric
- 100% cotton that meets Oeko-Tex Standards, meaning that the fabric is safe for even the most sensitive skin
- Doesn’t bounce on its own, so babies who like constant motion to maintain sleep may awaken once the chair stops bouncing