Breastfeeding works best when you’re comfortable, so set up a special space for feeding time. Some items you may want to include:
- A comfortable chair – Feeding time for a newborn takes most of the day, whether you’re breastfeeding or bottle-feeding, so a soft chair that supports your back and lets you shift positions, or even recline, is a must.
- Pillows – Nursing pillows or sleeves are great for taking some of the strain off your arms, back, and neck. A lumbar-support cushion is a smart choice, too.
- A footrest – Especially if you’re breastfeeding, you’ll save yourself back pain if you elevate your feet. And it’s easier to doze off with your feet up.
- A blanket – Keep a light throw handy so you can cover up when you feel a chill.
- Water – Breastfeeding moms are especially prone to dehydration. Keep bottled water handy; you might also want to keep a stash of snacks nearby.
- Magazines or books – While your baby is eating or resting, you may find you want a little distraction, so have some reading material and a booklight on hand.
- Music – Whether it’s Bach or Beyoncé, soothing music is a great way for you to unwind; baby will love it, too.
Leave a Reply