For parents who prefer an audio monitor, Summer Infant’s Babble Band Wearable Audio Baby Monitor is a great hands-free, wearable option with exceptional sound quality. I’m using it as a second monitor (more on that below) when I don’t want to lug around the video monitor from room to room. The parent unit feels like a watch, is really comfortable, and is easily adjusted for mom or dad.
What I loved:
- Sound quality: I was really impressed by the sound quality on such a tiny device. The sound is crazy good, it’s like you’re in the crib with the baby…on stereo. And somehow it manages to pick up the baby’s sounds and not any background din.
- Design: The parent unit is thoughtfully designed and has the option to be alerted with audio, vibration, or visual lights.
- Did I mention how good the sound is? I can’t get over it. It’s really good.
What I’d change:
- Range: My vision with this monitor was that I would be able to do some gardening in the yard while the baby sleeps. I can do a bit but can’t cover the yard, which is not large. So this monitor is better for moving around the house like cooking and doing laundry, etc.
- Charging: The sound monitor acts as the charger, so there are periods of time you cannot utilize the monitor (instructions say charge for approximately 5 hours every 14 hours). So if you have a frequent napper, you need to remember to charge the unit while the baby is awake. Also, you need to put it in power-save mode overnight. So you need to have a ritual for this one if you’re going to use it all the time.
In summary, if you’re looking for an audio monitor which will allow you to multi-task while baby sleeps, this may be the monitor for you.