Pops! Icy Treats for Everyone author Krystina Castella thinks of these ice pops as frozen smoothies on sticks. They’ll provide satisfying relief of your ice cream cravings, as well as much needed vitamin C and potassium.
Perfectly ripe honeydew melons are extraordinarily juicy and sweet. For these pops, choose melons that are heavy for their size and a little overripe, because that means they have high water content.
Honeydew Melon Pops
4 cups of diced (1⁄2-inch cubes)
ripe honeydew melon
1⁄3 cup of plain yogurt
Juice of 3 limes
Grated zest of 1 lime
1 tablespoon of honey
Makes eight 6-ounce pops
1. Combine 2 cups of the melon with the yogurt, lime juice, and zest in a food processor or blender; process until smooth.
2. Heat the honey in a microwave oven for 30 seconds, until thinned.
3. Add the honey to the melon mixture; process again to combine.
4. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of melon.
5. Fill the pop molds with the mixture. Insert the sticks. Freeze for at least six hours.
6. Remove from the freezer; let stand at room temperature for five minutes before removing the pops from the molds. Dip into this beautiful, amazingly juicy pop!
From Pops! Icy Treats for Everyone © 2008 by Krystina Castella. Photograph © 2008 by Emily Brooke Sandor. Used with permission of Quirk Books.